Monday, April 19, 2010

choosing when it is gray

My job with the church touches many different areas and there is this continual overlap of responsibilities and priorities. I love the variety, but sometimes it is hard to know what to do. Last Wednesday there was the possibility of attending a funeral for someone one step removed from our church, climbing with two teenage guys, or having coffee with a guys in his late twenties who comes to church occasionally. All three of these are good and important things to do and there was no simple answer. I'm reading a biography about Johnathan Edwards and when he was a pastor in North Hampton, MA he spent the majority of his 13 hour day in his study (preparing for preaching three massive sermons each week, seeking God in prayer, studying, writing, and some counseling). I can see how this fit his gifts and temperament, but I also wonder about other motives. I find that with the freedom I have in setting my schedule and prioritizing certain tasks over others, that there is the temptation to do only the things I enjoy and am good at. While this describes the majority of my job responsibilities, there are points when I know I am putting off administrative work, making a hard phone call, or making a difficult decision. I need God's help to know what best to do with my day. Sometimes it is very clear and at others I see many shades of gray.

No comments: