Monday, November 17, 2008

driving through the night and Admiral Stockdale

Hillary started driving around 10pm and I as lay there in the reclined car seat I was staring up following the moon as its light reflected off scattered clouds. It was a beatiful evening twisting and cruving along Interstate 81 as we traveled through Virginia and West Virginia into Pennsylvania. I had the 12:40-5am shift at the wheel and the first two and a half hours were great. I was rested from my nap and enjoyed the lonely time of the morning when there are few distractions and plenty of time to think. I spent the time listening to instrumental music, talking with God, and thinking all sorts of thoughts. I like being up late into the night/morning, but don't get to do so very often.
I've been thinking about this thing called the stockdale paradox which talks about confronting the most difficult aspects of your present situation while believing that you will eventually truimph. Looking back on the past year of serving Christ in CT and looking forward to the next I am very aware of my need for faith in God. I don't want to be merely optimistic, but to trust God's call and wisdom in leading us here and believe that he will work despite various difficulties.

No comments: