Monday, May 24, 2010

Demons, and I'm not strange

It was my sophomore year of college and I was taking a history class focusing on the time of the protestant reformation (just fulfilling gen. ed. requirements). At the beginning of the class the professor asked the class what we believed in, or some question like that. It was a broad question designed to reveal the way we looked at life and then help compare our worldview with a person living in the 1500's. There were various respones from the class and one of the guys said, "angels and demons." I recognized him from a Christian orginzation on campus and though I agreed with him theoretically, I couldn't help but smile to think that someone really believes in angels and demons. Saying it outloud in the class room setting almost seemed ridiculous and my response revealed my own unbelief in something the bible clearly teaches. Even as you read this, you may think I'm a little wierd. I probably would have to, at certain points in life.
Now, fastforward nine years and the reality of the demonic is something I can't get away from. I'm still working on a very practical belief in angels and how they fit into the story of God and his people, but I'm convinced about the demonic. This has been a process, that has been solidified through learning, faith, and experience. As I've continued growing in Christ and serving him I'm seeing more and more of the dark side of the spiritual world. While this came up some in seminary, it has been my time in New England and my three weeks in Africa, where I've run into this the most.

When people talk about the demonic we can tend to think of wierd supernatural stuff like we see in the movies. This is a part of it, but there is also the subtle deception, accusation, and slander that come from the devil and his minions. What I'm trying to do is fit these different pieces together. Right now I'm reading a book (see picture) on the demonic and it has been very interesting. Though I don't agree with the author on everything he is helping me pull together things that I have observed, but not realized, and then connect this to what we see in the bible.

No comments: