Tuesday, July 17, 2007

cheese, brats, and beer








When I asked what there is in Wisconsin, "cheese, brats, and beer" was the response. While that was a pretty accurate summary (I had cheese curds for the first time - kinda like motzerella sticks) they failed to mention the cool huge windmills.
It was a good trip - we stayed with Josh, Ali, David, Zach, Abby, and Gabe Brumbaugh and also visited a friend of Hillary's from college (Robin and her family). I've known Josh four years now - we started seminary together and now he is the pastor of a church in Evansville. It was neat to see him leading a church and I was encouraged to see God working in and through him. Hillary and I spent time talking with he and Ali and playing with the kids. It was helpful for Hillary to hear from Ali what it is like becoming a pastors wife.

During the weekend I realized that I am not nice to play with. David (their oldest) wanted to play Stratego with me (see picture) and I agreed. In highschool I often had intense matches of Stratego with a close friend and I brought all my stratego skills to bear in this game. After some successful initial moves on David's part (he is 6yrs old) I decimated his forces and lured him into a devestating trap. Needless to say he was really upset and started to cry and then I realized the depth of depravity as I considered my quest for victory and willingness to use ruthless Stratego tatics to beat a six year old. I apologized for not playing nice and eventually things got sorted out, but that was not my greatest moment.

No comments: