Friday, October 24, 2008

ordination part 3

So I am finally finishing up my original ideas. Ordination was like getting married - sorta. I was up there taking vows (to be faithful to God, scriptures, his church etc) and kept saying, "I do." And I realized hey, this was like getting married: it is a new stage of a relationship, it makes sense and feels right but is still scary, there is privilege and responsibility, and it is a neat ceremony with huge implications. Being ordained means a lot of things. Primarily is a sing of the church's recognition of God's call on my life. The church is setting me apart to serve God as a pastor and bestowing on me the authority/power of that office. Authority and power can have negative connotations in our culture, but in myself I don't have either of those. I was set apart as someone who represents God and therefore mediates his authority and power. Again, this is a daunting responsibility and an undeserved privilege. I'm sure I'll understand this much more as I head along this path.

No comments: