Monday, March 30, 2009

When commentators conflict, or Why I went to seminary

I get to preach this week for Palm Sunday and I generally enjoy the thinking and reading that goes into sermon preparation. The difficult thing is when I'm working on the sermon and there is a portion of the passage which doesn't make sense and I can't find clear answers as to what it means. I've been working on the passage for this Sunday (from Zechariah) and the two parts I have questions on are addressed in various commentaries, but the various scholars don't agree. They translate the verses differently and have somewhat different interpretations as well. It is kinda intimidating when there are these various intelligent people who come down on different sides of the issue and I need decide what I think best represents the intention of the author. So, pray that God would lead me to understand his word and communicate what he desires. Preaching is always somewhat of a an adventure there are just times when you feel it more and I am definitely feeling it this week.

No comments: