Monday, August 24, 2009

moving highways

Two Sunday's ago, the 16th, I had the privilege of preaching in Providence, RI at a sister church. Providence is a neat city and the church, Trinity, is workg to further God's kingdom in the city. As I was getting ready to go there I was told that the directions might be off since they are working on one of the highways. I didn't realize the magnitude of the highway work until I was lost, and eventually made it there and was told that the highway is actually being moved. The reason that the highway is being moved is that it presently cuts the city in half. Harford suffers from the same problem, where the highway criscrosses through the city breaking it up into little chunks. What is especially neat about the highway removal is that the church, which is more on the outskirts of down town, will be more at the center of things once the redevlopment begins. This highway relocation is exciting in how it benefit the church and for the city. I think about moving highways pretty often as I pass through Hartford on 84 (our major interstate), and as I drive through the city and see how it is disected by the freeway.

No comments: